Thursday, October 21, 2004

Merging headaches

Looks like I was asking the wrong question last week when I asked about running Jasmine under the 3.7 VM. As everyone said, that is no problem, the Jasmine image runs just fine with the 3.7 VM. But Scott's code relies on infrastructure in the 3.7 image, not the VM. Infrastructure which does not exist in the Jasmine image. Oops. So, I spent today alternating between:

  1. Failing to get Scott's code running in the Jasmine image. I was able to chop out most of the references to horizontal scrollbars, but ran into an unknown message that I cannot track down.
  2. Failing to get Jasmine to run in Scott's 3.7 image. I thought doing a file out on all the Croquet catagories might work, but the Croquet image has changed some of the basic Squeak syntax rules to allow calls like gl glVertex(0.0, 0.0, 0.0), and I don't know how to get those changes into the 3.7 image. So I just get lots and lots of syntax errors.
  3. Being really really surprised when I did the following: file-in one of Scott's .cs files, immediately file-out it, then close Squeak w/out saving, reopen Squeak, file-in my new .cs file and presto - a stream of errors. I don't know if this is a bug in Squeak, something really weird with Scott's change set, or, more likely, my mental model of how change sets work is completely wrong.